There are many times in our lives when we need encouragement. So it’s important to learn how to encourage ourselves when everything is going south. Sometimes, it feels like it’s coming down so hard you need a hat.
Here are some ways to start:
- Write a letter to yourself. Remind yourself of the good attributes that will see you through this period of doom, remember compliments that have been given and remind yourself of what you have accomplished up until now. As the person who knows you best, you can be your best advocate.
- Write a thank-you note to someone who has helped you in the past. It could be someone from last week or someone from ten years ago. This is a powerful exercise- books have been written about it. You may be surprised by the gratitude you generate.
- Find something funny. Your phone is your best friend in this case. Google your favorite comedian or Jimmy Fallon is always creating wildly funny competitions with his guests like lipsynch contests, Mad Libs, etc.
- Do something brave. Do something outside your comfort zone. Choose one activity that you like and try something that is a little harder – an uphill hike, a longer bike ride, introducing three people who don’t know each other, inviting someone you don’t know well to share some time with you.
- Create an Inspiration Book. Start collecting quotes, photographs that are meaningful and remind you of good times, song lists, and nice notes you have received from others. Get a spiral art notebook and begin to create your book of inspiration. Keep adding to it and you will find it lifting your mood just by your creative process.